Kettlebell Exercise Snapshot: Goblet Split Squat
by Colin McGarty
Goblet Split Squat Descriptions
The kettlebell goblet split squat is one of the best exercises for your lower body. This movement trains your glutes, quads and hamstrings. It also happens to be one of the best all around single leg exercises. Since most sports involve running, and running is a single leg activity, it is excellent for athletes and runners! Many people experience knee pain during forward and reverse lunges. The Goblet Split Squat eliminates the forward momentum and puts you in a perfect lunge position from the start, allowing pain free lunges for many people with knee issues. Try adding this single leg exercise to your workout!
Goblet Split Squat Steps
- Set up in the bottom position of a lunge. Your front shin should be vertical, and your rear knee should fall just under your hips. Use a pad for you knee if needed.
- Safely pick up a kettlebell by the horns and pull it tight to your chest. Squeeze your upper back and brace your core.
- Maintain a vertical torso as you drive through your front heel. No Leaning forward!
- Come to full extension on top and then reverse the movement.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Need a Fitness Jump Start! Click below to try a FREE workout!