How to Make Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffed Acorn Squash Ingredients:
- 2 acorn squash, halved, seeded
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces can of diced mild tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup no sugar tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Low fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Stuffed Acorn Squash Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place squash halves on the baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake until soft, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf, flip the squash over and fill each half with the chili.
- Top with low fat cheese, if desired, and bake until melted, about 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Ready to make a transformation? Click below to sign up for a FREE workout!